Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Q & A with a couple cast members

DB: Hi John. A table becomes very important to your character, Orgon, in the play. Has a piece of furniture ever been so significant to you?


John Tillotson: Well, dining tables are very symbolic of group activities. Gathering for meals, discussions, holidays, etc. For more than 20 years I lived in NYC without one large, flat, smooth surface--not even a desk. Four or five years ago I finally was able to fit a table into my space. Well, it has changed my daily life immensely. No more meals with plates on laps. No more wrapping gifts on the floor. Now all those activities have a surface. But what is best is now that I can idle with friends over drinks & dinner, all relaxed and comfortable for hours on end, enjoying ourselves. (Sidenote: I recently used my table for a sawhorse and gouged a chunk out it. I shrugged--it gave the table additional purpose & character.)


DB: Hi Rosie. Your character in the play has lots of lazzi & the comedy seems second nature to you because it's so funny. I was wondering: what was the most recent favorite comedy that you were in?


Rosie McGuire: I'd have to say my own one woman show called Color Me Neurotic. I played over a dozen characters--some were very, very funny and some were quite tragic. But my favorite character was Kay-dee Bleeker--a homeless woman turned homeless dentist.

Kay-dee found some discarded dental tools behind a clinic one day & decided to teach herself denistry to help out her homeless community-- although she does use crazy glue occassionally. Mostly when a tooth is rotten, she'd give her patient a good swig of liquor and tell them to squeeze their "hoo-ha" so they don't feel the pain.

The audience was in love with this character, and loved her to a point where they would let her examine one of them. If she could finally get them to open their mouth, Kay-dee would then say, "That's it--yank it!" And the house would come down laughing. For me it was a comedy orgasm every night.


DB: Hey Gordon! Real quick: If Tartuffe was an animal or famous person or something, what or who would he be?

Gordon Weiss: Ah... probably Yosemite Sam, Bette Davis, and... a ferret.

No comments: